Sunday, May 29, 2011

Book Review: Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson


I've been interested in reading Peter and the Starcatchers for a while now because I knew it was based off of Peter Pan and, for those of you who don't know, I am a huge Peter Pan fan. I was really excited when my cousin got the book for Easter and said I could borrow it. For me it was a very quick read; it is considered a children's novel.

I really enjoyed this book. It ended up being almost like a prequel to Peter Pan. It follows Peter, an orphan, and his orphan buddies as they are put onto a ship, the Never Land, to become servants for an evil king in a far away country. Peter quickly notices young Molly on board the Never Land and they end up becoming friends. The story revolves around the protection of a very coveted trunk. Molly has to protect what is hidden in the trunk for her father and the world at any cost, including her life. Peter volunteers to help. The notorious pirate, Black Stache, hears of the treasure in the trunk and quickly tracks down the Never Land. Some "talking" porpoises and Mermaids are involved in this very fast-paced and captivating novel. I thought the story line was very creative and unique and I was very pleased with the way every thing tied together at the end.

BUT. Yes, there is a downside. This is considered a children's novel, but there were a few details and comments in the book that I did not think were appropriate for children. Most likely they went right over my cousin's head (he's eleven), but I was still disappointed that they were in the book at all. They were always unnecessary, so it was just annoying that they were in there. And, obviously, some people won't think it matters. So, I think that before you gift this book to your nephew or cousin, you should read through it first to see if you think it'd be alright for them. There are sequels to Peter and the Starcatchers, and I do intend to read them (and my cousin has already read two of them) so watch for more book reviews soon!

No comments: