Monday, May 7, 2012

Book Review: Tankborn by Karen Sandler

This book was FANTASTIC. Ok, back story first.

It came out in September of 2011. Karen Sandler came to my publishing class in February of 2012. My very good friend won an ARC in a drawing of sorts that we did. She graciously let me read it first. I wasn't sure what to expect because it's pretty sci-fi, but it was SO good. I am very impressed with Sandler's work.

Sandler invented a planet called Loka where humans had to go when things got bad on earth (think Wall-e type situation). There was a specific class structure, but when that started to fall apart, people invented GENs, Genetically Engineered Non-humans, to basically be the lowest class. They are treated almost as badly as slaves. Our heroine, Kayla, is a GEN. We follow her story as she gets her Assignment and is sent to work for a Trueborn family. She ends up getting involved in a definitely illegal scheme, but she's at the good end, of course (she IS the heroine). Her world ends up getting flipped all over the place, and all the things she believed in get all mixed up.

I was really impressed with Sandler's story. It was so creative and well thought out. She definitely created all aspects of Loka, not just the parts that applied to this story. I felt like she sped up too much once questions started being answered, but it was still well written. The genetic stuff got too complex for me, I think she should have dumbed it down just a bit more, but I still understood the story. I highly recommend this (clean) novel.

No comments: