Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Book Review: Austenland by Shannon Hale

This book is one of Shannon Hale's adult novels. Austenland is about a girl named Jane who is obsessed with Mr. Darcy from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Jane's great Aunt pays for Jane to go to Europe to Pembrook Park - a place that is pretty much Jane Austen's world come to life. So Jane spends three weeks in this "Austenland" and discovers a lot about her self and a bit about Jane Austen. I liked this book as a novel, but as a Shannon Hale book, I was a bit disappointed. Shannon Hale has written fantastic books for a younger audience (like Princess Academy and Goose Girl). Those books are extremely cute and 100 percent clean. I am very impressed with them. Austenland, on the other hand, is written for adults, so of course there will be more to it. But I was disappointed with some of what Hale wrote because she has these other books that are so enchanting, and I felt like she sort of lowered her standards. But it was a good novel, and I thought it was a clever plot line.

No comments: