Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Book Review: Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog

One of my favorite things to do is to go to the public library and pick out random books. I read the back or the flap, and if it sounds interesting, then I check it out. I like to pick out books that aren't popular. Last week, I came home with Fairy Tale. I like books that have mythical aspects so I decided to give this one a try.
Fairy Tale is about a girl named Morgan and her boyfriend Cameron. Right before their shared 16th birthday, a rather odd kid named Pip shows up and announces that Cameron is really a fairy prince and has to cross over to the fairy world at midnight of his sixteenth birthday to take his rightful place as Fairy King. Cameron and Morgan do not want to be separated, but Cameron's magical fairy powers are slowly starting to appear and he looks less like a human each day, which means he can no longer live in the regular human world. It's the biggest trial of Morgan's life.
I was not overly impressed with this novel. The story line was pretty good, but it seemed like a shallow sort of book. Kinda fluffy. And compared to the other Fairy/Magic/Mythical novels out there, it wasn't very original or outstanding; I was able to predict the ending. Balog works as a magazine writer, and I think this was her first novel. Personally, I hope her magazine writing is better than her novel writing.

No comments: