Monday, December 12, 2011

Book Review: Lady Macbeth's Daughter by Lisa Klein


I read Macbeth by Shakespeare for my Shakespeare class this semester and discovered this novel while looking for reference books for my research paper on Lady Macbeth. Klein apparently is also the author of Ophelia, which I read at one point in high school, but don't remember too well. I checked out Lady Macbeth's Daughter (along with too many other books...) and I enjoyed it for the most part.

It follows the story of a fictional daughter of Lady Macbeth who was banished at birth because she was a cripple.She ends up being raised by the Weird Sisters and then goes to live with Banquo and his family when she is older. She falls in love with Fleance, Banquo's son, learns she has the Sight, and learns how to properly use a sword. As her "mother" is dying, she discovers who she really is and feels obligated to get revenge on Macbeth for all the horrible things he has done to Scotland.

Lady Macbeth's Daughter was really interesting. It followed the main points of the play Macbeth, but also had many unique aspects. Klein does a good job of having an appropriate voice and tone for the story, and her diction was fantastic. The beginning of the novel was a bit graphic, but overall it was fine. I recommend this book but I also recommend knowing Macbeth at least pretty well before reading.
Happy Reading!

No comments: