Friday, December 23, 2011

Book Review: Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer by John Grisham


This novel was very well written (of course, it's by John Grisham!). I was really impressed with Grisham's writing for young adults. He did a fantastic job of capturing the thoughts and feelings of a very smart 13-year-old boy.

Theo's parents are both lawyers and he spends his spare time at the courthouse. He can't quite decided what he wants to be when he grows up: a lawyer or a judge? When a big murder trial takes place, Theo wants to witness every moment of it. He has a reputation for being trustworthy and knowing the law inside and out, which leads to him being the sole confidant of a school-mate who's cousin is the only witness to the murder. Theo then has many problems on his plate, and if he doesn't figure out the right thing to do, a murderer could go free.

This novel is fast-paced and fun. Grisham does a great job of dumbing legal things down to make them understandable for his younger audience. I actually learned some legal things from this book. It was a clean read. The only issue I have with this book is that Grisham brought in a few very small side stories that he didn't wrap up very well. The ending also wasn't very satisfying. There's a second Theodore Boone book, but I don't think it is necessarily a sequel; I think it's just another stand-alone story with the same protagonist. So I probably won't get the complete wrap-up that I want. But I do highly recommend this YA novel.
Happy Reading and Merry Christmas!

No comments: