Friday, November 18, 2011

Book Review: Crossed by Ally Condie


Crossed is the sequel to Matched, which I reviewed a few months ago (you can read that review here). Condie's series is futuristic and reminds me of the Hunger Games series, just not nearly as violent and graphic. Crossed is the second book in Condie's series. It continues to follow Cassia and Ky as they escape the Society and try to find the Rising. There was a lot of internal struggle in this book; a lot of the time you are in the character's heads, reading their thoughts as they have epiphanies about life, love, and the Society. The chapters switched between Cassia's point of view and Ky's, which I thought was clever, but there wasn't a very big difference between the way they each spoke - Condie's writing didn't change between the two characters. I felt like not very much happened in this novel - they travel for a long time, learn some important things, but there wasn't very much action and, like I said, a lot of it was thoughts (which reminded me of the Twilight series). I'm not very impressed with Condie's writing. I think her ideas are good, and she has a lot of potential, but these books just aren't drawing me in. They are clean, which is always good.
Let me know your opinion on these books.
Happy Reading!

No comments: