Wednesday, February 23, 2011

K-Drama, my life.


Over the summer my friend Val started talking about a Korean drama show she was watching, Boys Before Flowers. Well, it sounded really interesting, and it WAS summer, so I decided to try it out. And I got hooked.
After finishing Boys Before Flowers, I didn't really know what to do with my free time. Just kidding, I had tons of good ideas, but it was weird not having my show to watch anymore. Then in January, I felt like watching a new show again. So I tried out Playful Kiss, another Korean drama. LOVED IT. And then I asked Val for more suggestions. She told me she really liked Secret Garden. So I clicked on the first episode of Secret Garden.
It has now been a few weeks, and I have watched all 20 episodes of Secret Garden. It was the best thing I have ever watched. I adore that show and I am so bummed that it's over. It was so good! Let me explain a few reasons why I love Korean drama so much now:
1. It's clean. Yes, it's drama, but it's not all about who's sleeping with who and drugs and parties and all the junk you see in American TV. No, it is clean and I love that.
2. It's in Korean. Yes, I know, you're going, "but you don't speak Korean." Yes, that's a fact. During Korean dramas, I read English subtitles. So why do I like it so much? Because I now know a few words in Korean. I can say hello, mom, dad, thank you (in 2 ways), sorry, and "what to do?". I love it.
So those are random details that make it so great. Secret Garden is my favorite but I love all of the three I've watched so far. They are a bit cheesy, but you can't help loving it. So, do you want to be cultured? Or do you have some free time? Or do you just want to watch something amazing? Then try these Korean dramas. They will change your TV watching experience! haha! I watch them all on Hulu, but there's other online sites where they're posted as well. If you try them out, let me know what you think!
감사합니다

1 comment:

Krista said...

You should check out Hana Kimi. :) It's originally a Japanese manga (which was SO good), but the Korean drama is sooo funny. I don't remember where I watched it, but if you can find it, you should watch it. Haha. It's about a girl that really wants to be friends with her favorite athlete, so she disguises herself as a boy and goes to an all-boys school just to get close to him. ;)