Monday, September 19, 2011

Book Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows




I've been hearing about this book for a while now, but never had the chance to read it until my Aunt thrust it at me and said it was one of her current favorites. It was fantastic!
It is written in letter format, which bothers some people, but I love it. My biggest problem is keeping characters straight, but it wasn't bad at all in this novel. The writing style changed for each character's letters, which is proof of good writing in my opinion.
The story takes place right at the end of WW2. Juliet is looking for a new book idea, and as she becomes friends with the people of Guernsey, she realizes she might have a story there. Guernesy was occupied by the Germans during the war, so everyone on the island has a story to tell. There are stories of the children being sent away for their safety, stories of becoming friends with the German soldiers, and stories of finding ways to defy them. The characters are lovable and realistic. I highly, highly recommend this book!

No comments: